Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) is a program under the CARES Act that adds additional weeks to a claimant’s unemployment benefits claim once they exhaust. PEUC is also known as an extension.
Idaho discontinued all federal CARES Act unemployment assistance programs week ending June 19, 2021.
Additional information is available here.
- Minimum payment amount: $72 per week.
- Maximum payment will be $463 per week.
- First payments occurred May 5, 2020.
- First Payable Week: 13 weeks of extended benefits effective March 29, 2020, or the first week after an individual exhausts benefits, whichever is later. Eleven additional weeks effective Dec. 27, 2020. There are no provisions to pay exhausted PEUC benefits retroactive to Dec. 27, 2020.
- Last Payable Week: Week ending March 13, 2021. In some cases claimants will be able to claim through April 10, 2021.
PEUC is taxable and will be subject to 10 percent federal withholding tax, if you elected to have taxes withheld from your regular benefits. Find more information about changing your election.
If a claimant has eligibility for a regular claim, they must go on to a regular claim instead of going to or staying on an extension, even if the weekly benefit amount is lower on the new claim or the new claim is in a different state.
- If you knowingly make a false statement or fail to disclose information in an attempt to receive PEUC benefits to which you are not entitled, you are committing fraud. Fraud results in a disqualification from benefits, an overpayment of benefits and potential criminal prosecution.
How to Apply for Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation
Step 1: Exhaust unemployment benefits
- Your claim must have expired after July 6, 2019, and be exhausted. Claims filed prior to August 2018, are not eligible.
Step 2: Apply online
- Log into labor.idaho.gov/claimantportal.
- Click ‘File an Extension’ on the claim tile to the lower left.
- Answer all the questions and hit submit.
- You will receive a confirmation that your PEUC application is complete.
You will receive a confirmation that your PEUC application is complete
Step 3: Continue to submit your weekly certifications at labor.idaho.gov/claimantportal.
- Submit your weekly certification the first Sunday after you applied for extended benefits. If you are unable to submit weekly certifications, keep track of your weekly activity.