Listen in English

Escucha en Español

Work Search Requirements


How do I report my work search?

When you file your weekly certification at, you will be asked to enter your work search contacts. We will ask how you applied for the position and for the companies’ contact information. You can save yourself some time by using our work search log to gather the information so you have it ready when you file your weekly certification application (formerly known as weekly continued claim report) online.

Do I have to look for work if I have a seasonal job?

Seasonal employees are not automatically exempt from seeking work. Job attached designations for seasonal workers are limited to 16 weeks of reduction of hours or layoff. This is applied statewide – with no exceptions to the rule. Enforcing the policy statewide has eliminated the difficulty – and often inequity – of assessing seasonal conditions that vary significantly from one region of the state to another.

If claimants do not have a definite return-to-work date within 16 weeks of their layoff or reduction in hours, they must look for work. We aren’t saying you can’t go back to your previous employer, but you will need to look for work during the time you are off. It may be in an occupation that is busy during a time opposite your normal industry. For example, someone who works as a U.S. Forest Service lookout in the summer could go to work driving a school bus in the fall and winter months.

Remember, if you file your claim and you are instructed to look for work, you are not coded in the system as job-attached. You will be expected to seek work unless otherwise instructed. Please call us at
(208) 332- 8942 with questions.

Last time I claimed unemployment insurance, I didn’t have to look for work during a seasonal layoff because I planned to go back to work for the same employer. What happened?

You may have been required to look for work but didn’t realize it because our weekly certification application (formerly known as weekly continued claim report) did not require information about your weekly contacts. Now that the weekly certification application requires this information, there is no confusion about work search requirements.

Do I have to look for work if I belong to a union?

It depends. Union members are not automatically exempt from seeking work. Your work search requirements could be waived if you are an active member of a union that regularly refers you to full-time work. You will be asked questions regarding union membership during the claim filing process to determine your proper work search responsibilities.

What if the online weekly report is asking for my work search contacts, but I am job-attached?

Never assume you are job attached. If you are unsure about your job-seeking requirements, contact us at (208) 332-8942.

Where does it tell me I have to look for work and keep a record of my contacts?

First, your job search requirements are outlined on your online application. During the application process you acknowledge you understand your work-seeking requirements.

Second, the information is on pages 8 and 9 of the Rights & Responsibilities pamphlet mailed to you after you apply for benefits.

We have also included the information on the Idaho Department of Labor's blog posts.

What is a valid work-search contact?

  • Contacts must be for full-time work.
  • Contacts must be for wage work.
  • A contact may be made online, in person, by mail, email or over the phone.
  • All contacts must be made with a person who has hiring authority, and applications must be submitted where accepted.
  • Self-employment or independent contract work contacts are not valid.
  • The same position with an employer may not be used for required contacts in consecutive weeks.
  • An online contact is only valid if it results in an online application being completed or a resume being submitted; simply searching websites such as or is not valid.
  • A friend or relative who works for the company you are applying for is not a valid contact.
  • If you are employed part time, you may not use your current employer as a job contact.

You may find our valid contacts FAQ helpful.

Is there anything else I have to do?

You are required to register for work at or with the Department of Labor in the state where you reside. You also may be required to participate in an in-person interview with a workforce consultant at your local office. The interview is designed to help you return to work in the shortest time possible. The consultant may assist you with labor market information, resumes and innovative ideas for seeking work. Failure to participate will result in your benefits being stopped.

Make your contacts count:

Please call or visit your nearest local office for work search help. We offer many free services, including workshops on specific work search topics.

Unemployment references:

Unemployment can be complicated, but we have tools to help you. For more information on your unemployment insurance rights and responsibilities, visit


Return to unemployment insurance FAQ