What happens if I am overpaid?

You are paid benefits based on the information you give when you file your weekly certifications. If the department gets other information that changes your eligibility, you may have to pay back a benefit amount. This is known as an overpayment.

If you were overpaid, you will be notified by mail. You must pay back an overpayment before you can get more benefits.

How do you collect on my overpayment?

Idaho Labor has many ways of collecting overpayments. For example, we will keep your eligible weekly benefit funds to pay your overpayment balance.

If your overpayment is due to fraud, you can’t get benefits again until the amount is paid back in full. If you don’t repay an overpayment, the department may do the following to secure your debt:

  • Garnish your or your spouse’s wages.
  • Seize your bank accounts.
  • Take some or all your state and federal tax returns.
  • File a lien on your personal property.

Can I make payment arrangements?

Yes. You can repay an overpayment in one sum, or you can ask for a payment plan.

To make a payment plan, please call 1-800-672-5627 or (208) 332-3573.

Where do I send my payment?

You may bring your payment into your local office.

Or mail a check to:

Benefit Payment Control
120 S. 3rd St.
Boise, ID 83735-0730

Can I pay with a credit card or electronic check?

Yes. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express.

Access Idaho charges a 3% handling fee if you pay with a credit card or a flat rate of $2.50 for E-checks.

To make a payment or set up future payments, please call 1-800-672-5627 or (208) 332-3573.

Can I ask for the overpayment to be waived?

Yes. You will be told when an overpayment is found. If you believe the overpayment is wrong, you must ask for the overpayment to be waived within 14 days of being told.

Your overpayment will be waived if all the information in Example A or Example B is true:

  • Example A: The overpayment was a mistake from Idaho Labor. You had no way of knowing that you were getting benefits to which you weren’t entitled.
  • Example B: The overpayment was from an employer reporting the wrong wages in your base period. You couldn’t have been expected to find the mistake.

When an overpayment is added to your claim, you will be sent instructions on the Determination of Overpayment. Follow these to get a Determination of Waiver.

ver: 3.5.2a | last updated:
Jump back to top of page button