More than 130,000 Idahoans are veterans of the Armed Forces. If you are a veteran, you have earned benefits for yourself and potentially for your family, but you must apply to receive these benefits.
To have a Veterans Representative contact you, please fill out the intake form.
Veterans Preference is required by law
Special hiring authorities for veterans
Knowing about these authorities and identifying your eligibility will enhance your job search. These special authorities represent a few of many appointing authorities that agencies can use entirely at their discretion. Veterans are not entitled to appointment under any of these authorities. Check the vacancy announcements, which should clearly state, “Who May Apply.”
Topics on this federal website include:
- Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA)
- Veterans Employment Opportunity Act of 1998, as amended (VEOA)
- 30% or More Disabled Veteran
- Disabled Veterans Enrolled in a VA Training Program
- Schedule an Appointing Authority
Additional resources for veterans
- Federal veteran employment information
- Idaho Statute, Title 65, Chapter 5: Rights and Privileges of Veterans
- Unemployment benefits for ex-service members
- Priority of Service
- Find one of our veterans representatives
- Veterans’ rights under Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA)
- For Idaho USERRA questions, contact a federal veterans employment and training representative.